Thursday, November 15, 2012

In the Red and Brown Water Review

In the Red and Brown Water is a play revolved around a young woman, Oya, and the events of her life. It is set in what I could only determine as an extremely underprivileged town, probably a project of some kind. Oya is described as having a gift for running, where if she plays her cards right, could take her out of poverty. Oya is approached by a recruiter known as “the Man from State,” to run for his college, but Oya reluctantly declines his offer in order to look after her ailing mother, Moja, but promises to keep on training for next year. Mama Moja soon dies causing Oya to go into a downfall both physically and emotionally. Her place on the track team is taken, she soon finds herself taking numerous lovers, specifically, the outgoing Shango, and the shy Ogun. Oya is torn over both lovers and ends up dating both of them at the same time. Given that neither man wants to share her, Oya ends up pushing both of them away, which leads to her epic downfall. The most crucial part of the story was without a doubt Oya declining “the Man from State’s” offer in order to care for her mother. This action set the wheels in motion for Oya’s demise; despite it being a noble cause for turning down the offer, this was Oya’s chance to break away from the poverty stricken life she has always known. Oya’s entire livelihood was at stake, where as if she had chosen to accept the recruiters offer she would have most likely thrived, achieving a great amount of success. I believe this play was meant to teach and spread the fact that most often than not, life does not offer second chances, which is why one needs to take advantage of every opportunity he or she has before they are gone. Surprisingly I was most impressed with the actor who played Ogun, mostly because of his portrayal of this nervously reluctant man. Also he was able to comprehensively demonstrate the transition that Ogun goes through, from a wary edgy boy to a poised and confident man. I was particularly shocked and a little traumatized by the ending of the play. I didn’t have that many critiques of the play but the ending scene was definitely one of them. I felt like Oya cutting her ear off wasn’t the best way in getting across the fact that she had completely lost her mind. Living so close to Manhattan, I have been blessed with the opportunity to have gone seen numerous Broadway plays, therefore my expectations when seeing a live play are always set to the highest standards. Obviously I had to lower my standards quite a bit since I was going to see a college play, but never the less this performance did fall short of my expectations.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice review. I really wish I could have seen this play, it sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. I agree that Oya's defining moment was rejecting the man from state's offer. This is the cause of her life's downward spiral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make a really good point about the meaning of the play. The turning point in the play for her was definitely when she turned down the offer from "The Man from State". It really does show that second chances are hard to get and she probably should have taken the opportunity. After that, her demise really started so I agree with your viewpoints on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your interpretation of the play and how you refer to the underlying theme of missed opportunities and real life struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great review of the play. I would have to agree fully with you that turning down the offer to run completely changed Oya's path in the story. Everything was in her favor up to that point and then, following the offer, everything spiraled downwards. I was confused by many parts of the play but you seem to have a rather clear understanding. Good job!

    ReplyDelete